Netanyahu, Kushner agree US general to verify Hamas disarmament before Israel withdraws from Gaza
Netanyahu and US envoy Jared Kushner agreed an American general will verify Hamas's disarmament before Israel pulls out of Gaza, an Israeli official said. The understanding comes as Trump's team revives a peace plan Netanyahu had publicly rejected.
Intelligence analysis by Llama
Israel and the Trump administration have reached a new understanding tying any Gaza withdrawal to verified Hamas disarmament under a US general's supervision, reviving a peace framework Netanyahu had earlier rejected. The deal coincides with rare direct US-Hamas talks in Egypt and rising domestic political pressure on the Israeli premier ahead of October 27 elections.
Israel and the US agreed that a US army general will watch Hamas give up its guns, and only after that happens will Israeli soldiers leave Gaza. Think of it like a teacher checking that everyone turned in their toys before the class gets to go outside and play again.
Analysis
Major General Jasper Jeffers and the verification question
The Monday understanding places a single American officer at the center of one of the most contested steps in the Gaza peace roadmap. According to a senior Israeli official quoted by AFP, the two sides "agreed that the first step toward the demilitarisation of the Strip would be to require Hamas to hand over its weapons for decommissioning under the supervision of an American general." That general is Major General Jasper Jeffers, who leads the International Stabilization Force (ISF), the nascent unit intended to deploy to Gaza once conditions calm. The July 30 roadmap that Hamas signed had already assigned the ISF that supervisory role, but Monday's exchange effectively rebrands the mechanism as a bilateral US-Israeli checkpoint — a shift that gives Washington direct leverage over the timing of any Israeli redeployment. It also sidesteps, at least on paper, Netanyahu's complaint that the original wording left disarmament unverifiable.
Khalil al-Hayya and the politics of Hamas's commitment
The verification deal lands on the heels of unusually direct talks in Egypt between Kushner and a Hamas delegation led by the group's new leader, Khalil al-Hayya. A Hamas official said al-Hayya told Kushner the movement remained committed to the Gaza plan and wanted pressure applied to Netanyahu. That framing matters: it positions Hamas as the cooperative party and Netanyahu as the obstacle, inverting the long-standing Israeli public narrative. The Israeli side is pushing back, with an official of Trump's "Board of Peace" insisting that "every weapon collected will be fully decommissioned so it cannot be used again" and that Israel "retains its full right of self-defence." Tony Blair, a Board of Peace member, was also present, signaling that the post-war Gaza architecture is being negotiated as a multilateral package rather than a bilateral US-Israeli arrangement.
The October 10 ceasefire and 1,265 Palestinian dead
The diplomatic momentum is unfolding against a documented pattern of post-ceasefire violence. According to Gaza's health ministry — whose figures the UN considers reliable — Israeli operations have killed at least 1,265 Palestinians since the October 10 ceasefire, while the Israeli army has reported five of its own soldiers dead in Gaza operations over the same period. Far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir amplified the hardline mood in a podcast interview, saying Israel should kill 30 to 40 people every night in Gaza. The juxtaposition is stark: a US general being asked to certify disarmament on one side of the page, and a sitting Israeli minister publicly endorsing mass nightly killings on the other. Netanyahu, fighting for his political life ahead of October 27 elections and openly defying Trump over both the Gaza file and the halted war on Iran, has every incentive to keep both voices inside his coalition.
Key points
- Netanyahu and Kushner agreed an American general will supervise the decommissioning of Hamas weapons before any Israeli pullout from Gaza.
- Major General Jasper Jeffers, who leads the International Stabilization Force, is the officer at the center of the verification mechanism.
- The deal follows rare direct Kushner-Hamas talks in Egypt led by Hamas's new chief Khalil al-Hayya, and includes former UK PM Tony Blair on the US side via the 'Board of Peace'.
- Israeli operations have killed at least 1,265 Palestinians since the October 10 ceasefire, per Gaza's health ministry, figures the UN considers reliable.
- The diplomatic push comes as Netanyahu, facing October 27 elections, increasingly defies Trump over both the Gaza file and the halted US-Israeli war on Iran.
If implemented, the Jeffers-led verification gives both sides a concrete, time-stamped milestone rather than open-ended negotiations, which could unlock reconstruction funding and broader Arab normalization. A successful disarmament pass would also give Netanyahu political cover to accept a deal that previously threatened his coalition.
The arrangement still lacks a Hamas buy-in on the US-general role, and continued Israeli strikes — 1,265 Palestinian deaths since the October 10 ceasefire — could collapse the talks before verification begins. Netanyahu's October 27 election calculus and Ben Gvir's inflammatory public posture raise the risk that any deal, once signed, is sabotaged from within the Israeli cabinet.
Market signals
- OIL Sustained Gaza violence and US-Iran tensions cited in the article keep a geopolitical risk premium on Middle East supply routes.
- XAU Ongoing ceasefire fragility and Netanyahu-Trump friction described in the article sustain safe-haven demand.
AI-generated analysis of potential market relevance. Not financial advice.



