Catamaran Captains Released from Hospital After Lake Constance Crash
Two captains of the catamaran "Constanze" have been released from hospital after their vessel struck a harbor wall in Konstanz, injuring twelve people. The ship has been seized by prosecutors.
Intelligence analysis by Llama
The catamaran "Constanze" crashed into a Konstanz harbor wall on Lake Constance on Friday morning, injuring twelve people including both pilots, who have now been released from hospital. The vessel has been seized by prosecutors and is expected to be out of service for several months, cutting the Friedrichshafen route to a two-hour frequency.
A big boat called the Constanze crashed into a harbor wall on Lake Constance, hurting twelve people. The two people who drove the boat are home from the hospital, but the boat is badly broken and may take many months to fix. With only one boat left running, commuters between two cities now have to wait two hours between rides instead of one.
Analysis
The Constanze
On Friday morning the catamaran "Constanze" was approaching Konstanz harbor on Lake Constance when it struck a harbor wall. The impact caused massive damage, especially to the bow, according to a spokesperson for the Katamaran-Reederei Bodensee. The vessel has been seized by the Konstanz public prosecutor's office and is now being examined by police, who say they have no findings yet on what caused the crash. The shipping company has said the Constanze is likely to be out of service for several months while repairs are assessed. With the boat impounded for the criminal investigation, the timeline for getting it back on the water remains entirely open.
Twelve injured
Twelve people were injured in the collision, including both pilots of the Constanze. The two men were taken to hospital but have since been released, the shipping company said on Saturday, and are currently on sick leave. The company added that both had passed the required annual health examinations and that no irregularities had been known. There are also no indications so far of any technical problems with the catamaran before the crash, the spokesperson said. The investigation is therefore likely to focus on navigational decisions or harbor-entry procedures in the moments before the ship hit the wall.
Friedrichshafen–Konstanz route
The Katamaran-Reederei Bodensee runs what is, in normal times, an hourly service between the two lakeside cities, carrying commuters as well as leisure travelers across the German–Swiss border region. After the crash only one of the operator's three catamarans remains in service, forcing the line down to a two-hour frequency and lengthening waits for passengers at both ends. A third vessel, currently in maintenance, is expected to return to service by the end of the week, the spokesperson said. For a region that depends on quick cross-lake connections, the months-long absence of the Constanze is likely to test how well a single boat and a maintenance vessel can substitute for the normal three-ship rotation.
Key points
- Catamaran "Constanze" struck a harbor wall while entering Konstanz harbor on Friday morning
- Twelve people were injured, including both pilots of the vessel
- Both pilots have been released from hospital and are currently on sick leave
- The ship has been seized by the Konstanz public prosecutor's office for investigation
- The Friedrichshafen–Konstanz line has been cut to a two-hour service while only one catamaran operates
- A third catamaran in maintenance is expected to return to service by the end of the week
- The damaged Constanze is expected to be out of service for several months
The investigation may produce clear findings on the cause of the crash, allowing the shipping company and regulators to address any safety gaps before the Constanze returns to service. The fact that no technical failure has been identified so far, and that both pilots had passed their health checks, may reassure regular commuters about the overall safety of the Bodensee service.
With the Constanze expected to be out of service for several months, the reduced two-hour frequency could disrupt commuters and businesses that rely on the Friedrichshafen–Konstanz crossing for an extended period. If the investigation uncovers systemic safety or training issues, the damage to public confidence in the Bodensee catamaran service could outlast the repair timeline itself.

